Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Cradle Cap

The dreaded cradle cap. It is soooooo unattractive! All my kids have had it and, until Paige, I haven't even understood what it was! Basically, it's dead skin cells. Each day we sluff off a lot of dead skin cells. When we put on our clothes, take a shower, etc... we allow this process to happen. Babies, by mere virtue of the fact that they're not very active don't have the same opportunity. Thus skin cells build up on their heads and STICK creating cradle cap. I always thought that the more I washed my child's head the more cradle cap would be created -- wrong. I have found that washing my baby's head, at least once per day, will help eliminate cradle cap. I use Cetaphil soap because it's not as drying or olive oil and scrub with a toothbrush.

If the cradle cap becomes think you can soften it with a little olive oil and use a comb or toothbrush to try and get it off. Be careful though because it can peel off too much and cause your baby's head to bleed (one of my errors).

No comments: